Movie Review: "Jurassic World"




Movie Review: “Jurassic World”
Finally saw “Jurassic World” a few nights ago, and first, please allow me to vent. Some critics can be such asses. Too many of them think being a critic means they have to say something negative. What ever happened to giving credit where it’s due instead of nit-picking over pettiness? That’s a rhetorical question, of course; no one knows, but somehow the profession has disintegrated into a bunch of bitter cynics who obviously wish they could accomplish whatever art they’ve chosen to criticize. Point is, anyone can criticize. It’s base, human, and requires no legitimate expertise. Vent over. Back to the movie…

Guess you’ve ascertained that I enjoyed the movie, and critics did not give it the marks it deserved, in my opinion. The highest rating “Jurassic World” received was a seven-point-five, along with negative comments about the characters, and most critics gave it lower scores. What? It was a fabulous movie for what it was. You don’t go to a showing of dinosaur fantasy fit to please children as well as adults, and expect to receive the depth of character found in movies such as “Silence of the Lambs,” "Sophie's Choice," or “Ryan’s Daughter.”

“Jurassic World” was well-acted, fun, action-packed, and satisfying. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I’d seen Chris Pratt in “Guardians of the Galaxy,” another surprisingly fun film, he never caught my eye like he did in his performance as Owen, a military man who managed to train Velociraptors (actually, the creatures referred to as Velociraptors in Jurassic movies are modeled after the much larger Deinonychus Raptor).

Another nice surprise in the film was the strength of the heroine, Bryce Dallas Howard (daughter of the infamous actor/director Ron Howard). She managed to not only keep up with Pratt’s character, but even saved him at least twice (in a white suit and heels, no less). As for the dinosaurs themselves, for the first time, they are depicted as living beings I found myself caring about – personified, you might say. Close-ups of the dinosaurs while being trained and afterward, helped amp up the emotional intensity of the movie.

“Jurassic World” also sported a few more sexy eye-catchers. B. D. Wong, an award-winning actor, and Omar Sy, a Frenchman who makes the most of his African appearance by sporting the appropriate accent, are both very easy on the eyes, and I’ve always been a fan of the versatile, talented Vincent D’Onofrio. The young cuties, Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson also bear watching. It will be interesting to see where their careers are headed.


So now, where does “Jurassic World” go from here? The ending reeked of eventual sequel, so time will tell. As for me, I plan to purchase the DVD as soon as it’s available. Yeah, yeah, I know I could just purchase it on Amazon Prime or Vudu, but I’d like to be able to watch it even when I can’t stream. This is one of those rare movies I can watch over and over, much like “Independence Day.”

Comments